Tuesday 8 September 2015

Hello, Goodbye....Chicago!!!!

Welcome 

Hello and welcome!


This will be my blog for the next week as I, Murray Robertson, go to Chicago for the Triathlon Age-Group World Champs.

So needless to say, I'm fairly excited.

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr03/2013/8/7/16/anigif_enhanced-buzz-24766-1375906010-42.gif



I've been training for this race for nearly a year. I had to qualify to get invited, so I went to Townsville, Brisbane, Wollongong and Canberra to do Olympic Distance races (1.5k swim, 40k ride and 10k run) and accumulate enough points.


Obviously I got enough points but not without some high-end, soap opera drama.


At the Canberra race I had come out of the water in 6th or 7th place overall, and stayed there for the ride.


It was a 4 lap bike course, and coming to what I thought was the end of the bike section, I called over to Mum, Dad, Fiona (my sister) and Camilla (the Girlfren) to check that this really was the end.

"HOW MANY LAPS TO GO!?!?!?!?!?!?!"

I was confused, (and I look confused, caught in the act) because my Garmin was telling me I had only done 30k, so I should have one lap left......... So I did another lap. An extra lap, as it turned out (the course was very short).

Coming into the run, I saw people who I had been beating were now miles ahead of me.

This meant that I spent most of the run passing people and then politely asking them how many bike laps they had done.

I finished and realised my mistake.... Luckily I wasn't the only one who made such a rookie error. But still, words were said and hands were waved around.... and we move on.



My training has been really good. I've had a couple of injury scares (hamstring and calf problems) but they have been managed and obliterated.

I'm almost ready to leave and with only 8 days to race, I'm pretty  scared but raring to go.

I'll do updates each day on how Chicago is, what is going on and my daily activities.

Until then!


ex oh


P.S I got a write up in my Tri club's (Balmoral Tri Club) newsletter, you can check that out herrrreeeeeee










No comments:

Post a Comment