Sunday 13 September 2015

The Airport, Farewell and a Surprise?

Adios Amigos


So I made it to the airport this morning, bike packaged up and ready to go.

My taxi driver explained to me that his plan when he hit 80 would be to rob a bank, wait for the cops to arrive and then spend the rest of his life in what he considered to be luxury in prison.


Am I an accessory?


Moving on, I did my last couple of training sessions on the weekend.

It's an awkward stage because you want to be going hard but at the same time, you don't want to hurt yourself, your bike or your ego.


So fronting up to the final session on Sunday morning, I felt a mixture of relief and enormous fear! (Like this clip from Ice Age)



After I successfully navigated the minefield that can be the final hard session, I returned home to begin some Sunday morning gorging.

However, my numerous attempts to start on multiple helpings of muesli, toast and fruit were halted by Camilla and Sagar (housemate, friend and king of the Curry Rolls), who were trying to throw me a wonderful surprise brunch.

Unfortunately, one of our friends (she who shall not be named and shamed......Ellen) had given the game away on Saturday night, and the constant stream of friends coming into the house at 10am for no real reason raised some questions. Also when Matt "Activities" Coulton walked in and said "Happy surprise brunch"........



So while I wasn't completely surprised, it was a great way to see everyone and eat a lot of good food.



Back to the airport! What's the plan for the flight? Watch a lot of movies and try to relax and enjoy the long day of travel.

I managed to charm the absolute shit out of the Qantas lady at the check-in desk, who gave me an aisle seat in the emergency exit row. Which for a lanky, long-limbed larry like myself, is very very very exciting.


I'll get into Chicago on Monday afternoon, and then the preparation begins!

Until then.

Ex oh



No comments:

Post a Comment